Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Med student vs. scrub nurse

As a med student, I come in contact with all different types of medical professionals. It's challenging to constantly be moving from rotation to rotation and have to meet new people all the time. You feel like you're constantly surrounded by people you don't know, and you're always trying to make a good impression, while obviously trying to learn as much as possible. I usually spend a lot of time with residents and attendings (obviously), and nurses. Although there are some exceptions, most nurses are very nice, and understanding of the fact that I don't know everything.

Scrub nurses, however, are an entirely different breed. Now, if you're reading this and happen to be a scrub nurse, please don't take offense. I'm sure you're a Type 1. And if, by some chance, you're not, please remember to give us poor med students a break once in a while!

(Side note: For those of you who don't know, a scrub nurse is a nurse who works in the operating room. He/she (but usually it's a she) is, among other things, responsible for maintaining the sterile field, and for all the instruments involved in the surgery.)

Seriously, though, a good scrub nurse makes ALL the difference in a surgery. They are excellent at what they do and are often grossly underappreciated by some surgeons. Additionally, they are responsible for maintaining the sterile field, which is an extremely important and difficult job. People often walk in and out of the OR, and they have to constantly make sure no one contaminates anything. It can't be easy, and I really do get that.

In my experience and opinion, there are 2 types of scrub nurses:


1. Type 1: The Nice Ones. These scrub nurses are friendly, and understand the fact that med students can't possibly know all the ins and outs of every type of surgery. They make you feel comfortable, and are open to questions.

Examples of Type 1 (all things that have happened to me):

"Have you seen this type of surgery before? No? Oh, well then let me walk you through all the instruments used, so you can be familiar with them. That will make it easier for you to assist."

"Are you scrubbing in? What size gloves do you wear? Great, I'll get some for you."

"Oh, when you cut that type of suture, you should hold the scissors like this, that'll be easier."


2. Type 2: The Nasty Ones. These scrub nurses are sick and tired of being bossed around by arrogant surgeons and have apparently decided to take their anger and frustration out on poor, innocent med students. What have we ever done to them? Nothing! But, alas, we find ourselves getting yelled at for merely existing. We do our best, honest. We don't know everything and we know we don't, but pleast don't hate on us for trying. We are there for a reason - we have to learn surgery. We're not just there to bother you, I swear.

Examples of Type 2 (again, all things that have happened to me):

Me, after opening the door to an OR where there are already 2 med students : "Hi, my name is C, and I'd like to observe this surgery."
Type 2 scrub nurse (T2SN): *rolls eyes* "Get in line."

While standing at least 3 feet from any table covered in sterile drapes: "You CANNOT touch anything that's blue!!!!"

After a non-sterile person backed into me: "You just contaminated yourself!! You can't touch anyone who's not sterile!! Go re-scrub!!"

I mean, if I had a nickel for every time I've been yelled at by a scrub nurse for something I didn't do, I'd be rich!!


But to all nurses, scrub or otherwise, thank you for all you do. Good nurses are at the core of a good hospital. I know your work doesn't always get recognized.

** This post was inspired by spending the morning with some arrogant surgeons and one of the nicest scrub nurses I've ever come across. She got yelled at by one of the surgeons a few times for stuff she didn't do, but she didn't retaliate. She was friendly, helpful, and very nice to me. **

No comments:

Post a Comment