Wednesday, June 12, 2013

1 more semester!

Last week I finished my 10th semester of medical school, which means I only have 1 left. It's been a long journey, but I can see the light at the end of the tunnel! And I'll be spending the last few months of school doing an away rotation in the US, so I'm excited. I'm trying to ignore the fact that all this means I really have to pick a specialty........

So Monday was my first day of work as a doctor. I kept almost introducing myself as a med student, and I had to stop myself. When I was dictating my charts, I had to stop myself from saying I was a med student dictating for Resident'sName. It's just me. I dictate and write the charts, and no one checks my work. Yikes!!

A few funnies from my first 2 days:

Little old lady (LOL): Oh, my son is a doctor in SwedishTownI'veNeverHeardOf.
Me: Oh, really?
LOL: Yes. And where he works, there are a lot of young immigrant doctors.
Me (young immigrant doctor): Oh...
LOL: So his patients love him. They are SO HAPPY to be able to talk to someone who speaks Swedish. It's so hard when all the doctors are immigrants.

Me: Hi, my name is Mrs.E, I'm one of the doctors here.
LOL#2: Oh. And a woman, too!
Me: Yep.
LOL#2: A doctor and a woman.
Me: Yep.
LOL#2: So what do you call yourself if you're a doctor and a woman?
Me: .......A doctor.......
LOL#2: Well, there must be another word for it. A more feminine word.
Me: No, there's no other word, just doctor!


No comments:

Post a Comment