Monday, December 2, 2013

Busy bee

Well I've been super busy here in MN. My day goes something like this:

5:41 - alarm goes off (I have to set my alarm for certain times. Some numbers are good, some are bad. I know, I'm crazy. But I digress.)

7:00 - arrive at the hospital and try to see my patients that are still on our consult list

7:30 - they change the list, and DAMMIT my patient is gone. I did all that work for nothing. Start looking to see which new patient I should go see.

7:50 - get a page from a resident telling me to go see Mr. X

8:00 - go see Mr. X and start my note.

8:45 - get paged again, go see another new patient and start the other note.

9:30 - Start rounds

12:00 - lunch conference (lecture with free lunch. Which is sometimes good, and sometimes bad, like when they have meatloaf, mashed potatoes, and green beans. For the vegetarian, that means mashed potatoes + green beans. Luckily there are always cookies, which happen to be delicious. Particularly the M&M cookies. But I digress again.)

Anywhere between 3:00-5:00pm - finish rounding on all our patients.

Anywhere between 4:00-6:00pm - finish writing my notes and go home.

After I get home: Make dinner, watch an episode of a show, and crash.

Rinse and repeat.


Some gems from my most recent attending:

"I'm hypo-impressed by these findings."

Me: Can you please explain how you can tell that that EKG is afib and not aflutter?
Him: I'm a cardiologist, that's how.

"I don't use smartphones. Everyone has a finite amount of intelligence and if you use a smartphone, that uses up some of it."

"I don't believe in text messaging."

Him: I like my Motorola Razr.
Fellow: I liked mine too. IN COLLEGE.

No comments:

Post a Comment