Thursday, September 19, 2013

Surgery was successful!

After my attempted septum resection in June, I was feeling really discouraged. But this new doctor was confident that if anyone could remove it, he could. I went to my primary care clinic yesterday morning as planned, but left at lunchtime (without being able to eat lunch, obviously!) to head to the hospital.

I got there early, but I checked in anyway. Mr. E  was meeting me there, but he wasn't there yet when I got there. I went up to pre-op and was told to change into my gown and lock my stuff up in a locker. Then the nurse told me they would be taking me back. Commence breakdown. I wanted to at least give my husband a hug! The nurse was all like, well is there something specific you need from him? And I was all like, well, no, you stupid emotion-less Swede, I just need to see him.

OK, so that's not exactly what happened but I explained that I wanted to see him before I went back. She said ok, and told me she would come get me when he arrived. A few minutes later, he did. I gave him a quick hug and a kiss and then they took me back.

I met with my surgeon again and he was very reassuring.  He explained again that the way he performs this surgery, he doesn't actually remove any tissue, just cuts the septum. Then, the endometrium grows back over that tissue. It's amazing that the body can do that.

I also met with a very kind anesthesiologist who understood that, as a med student, I want to know all the details, as that makes me feel the most at ease. She explained that I would be given all the drugs they had for PONV prophylaxis (post operative nausea and vomiting, something I've unfortunately experienced before), which were meclozine, ondansetron, and betamethasone. Then I would be given Propofol and Fentanyl and go to sleep. I would have laryngeal mask anesthesia during the procedure. Great, all sounds good. I was super nervous, but she was understanding and calmed me down.

A few minutes later, they took me back. I was amazed that it went so quickly! Before my failed surgery I had to wait for over an hour, which felt like forever since I was so nervous.

They made me get into the stirrups, which was annoying, I was hoping they could just do that after I was asleep, but oh well. This is Sweden, land of no modesty. They did put the sterile drape over me, at least, so there's that. A little O2 by mask and then they put me to sleep.

I remember waking up in the OR briefly and asking if it worked. And they didn't really answer me clearly, but said something like yes, he removed it. I remember saying great!!! I was in pain so they gave me some Ketogan. And then I was out of it for a while longer.

While I was waking up, I was given antibiotics (a single dose of Zinacef), due to my 2 immunosuppressive meds. Miraculously, I had no PONV whatsoever. It's a miracle! I drank some water and ate a banana. The pain was there but very tolerable, it felt like cramps.

After I woke up, I spoke to my surgeon, who explained that it went well. He was able to remove the septum. Although my uterus still has a small dip at the top, it's nowhere near as severe as it was. He gave me no restrictions, since I had had the ABX. I was surprised, and will probably take some precautions just to be safe.

He also gave us the green light to TTC again after my next AF, which should be around the end of the month!! I kind of can't believe it. I've already ovulated, so hopefully my period will come on time. After 7 months of TTA, 1 failed and 1 successful surgery, and many, many tears, we will hopefully be able to try again. It'll only be one cycle at most, since I'll be leaving for the US of A in November, but 1 is more than 0.

I was very happy with the care I got and thrilled that it worked!! TTC, here we come!

No comments:

Post a Comment