Saturday, September 7, 2013

Well, I almost made it without an injury

I almost made it through my half training plan without an injury.

Almost.

Last Saturday, the day after I got back from the US, I needed to run 9 miles. It was POURING outside, but I figured I would run outside. You can't predict the weather on race day, right? I drove out to the trails I usually run on. Usually I run there, too, but my plan was to keep some sports drink and a banana in my car and run loops that passed by the car so I could refill and refuel. When I got to the trails, they were basically a lake. It wasn't really run-able, there was like a foot of water everywhere. I didn't want to slip and fall, or end up with mega blisters, so I decided to hit up the treadmill.

Since Winter ended, I've done all my runs outside, but I've previously run on a treadmill before, so whatever. I felt fine. It was a boring run, but I made it through.  I did get a few blisters on my toes though. Ouch.

A few hours later, I started to have pain in my right inner thigh, in my adductors. NOT GOOD. It wasn't soreness, it was pain. The next morning, though, it felt significantly better, so I lifted. Still felt fine. Monday morning the pain was worse, but not unbearable by any means. I set out on my 5 miler. I could run through the pain, but it definitely hurt. I knew I was being stupid by continuing to run, so I cut it short at 4 miles. I rested Tuesday and Wednesday and skipped my 3 and 5 mile runs.

Today, I was supposed to run 10, but the pain is still there. It is getting better though, which is encouraging. As much as I wanted to get out there and bang out some miles, I know that the most important thing is being injury-free on race day, not getting that last long run in. At least I hope that's the most important thing.

I made it through 10 weeks of half training feeling good, and then, bam. I'm so discouraged. This training has basically been the glue holding me together through my second loss, failed septum resection, 7 months of TTA, etc. etc. etc.

The pain right now, on Saturday evening, is the best it has been since last Saturday. If I still feel good tomorrow morning, I'll try a super easy run.

Please, please, please get better, leg!

No comments:

Post a Comment