Thursday, January 24, 2013

Learning Curve

Fun fact: Did you know that women eat more during the luteal phase (2nd part) of their menstrual cycle than they do during the follicular phase (1st part)? You don't gain weight though, because you use up more energy during the luteal phase.

That's just one of many things I learned in school today. It's amazing how much knowledge they can pack into a full day of lectures! I'm exhausted at the end of days like this, but it's nice to sit back sometimes and reflect on how much I've learned, that day and all through med school.

A while ago, I found the notebook I had used during my first day in clinic. I was at a primary care clinic, and it was the very first week of school, so I knew nothing. Nada. Zip. In it, I had written down the names of a bunch of medicines that I needed to look up, because I didn't know what they were. Looking at that page, I was surprised to see that every single medicine I had written down was a very common med that I've since seen a gazillion times. Things like warfarin, an anti-coagulant that like 50% of people over the age of 60 are on. Well, ok, that's an exaggeration, but not by much. And metoprolol, one of the most common beta blockers, which are used to treat lots of things like heart disease and arrhythmias.

It's astonishing to think how far I (and my classmates) have come. Often, on my rotations, I feel like I don't know anything. Which I don't, certainly not compared to the residents, let alone the attendings. But that notebook helped me realize that I have accumulated a lot of knowledge along the way so far. There is still so much to learn, though!

No comments:

Post a Comment