Monday, March 16, 2015

I am going to be a pediatrician!!

I just found out that I MATCHED!! I won't find out where until Friday, but I know it's in pediatrics since that's all I applied for. I get to spend my career making sick kids better! Hopefully in an ER or a NICU. I have worked so, so hard for this. I am so excited!

The Match is a legally binding application process. Basically, you apply to programs, and you get offered interviews. You go on the interviews, and then you rank the places you would consider training at in the order in which you liked them. The programs do the same, and rank their applicants. Then, you get matched by a computer algorithm. You get one spot, or no spot. If you get a spot, it's legally binding for both parties.
 
I went on 14 interviews. One of them was a prematch position, which means if they like you, they offer you a position outside of the Match. If you accept it, you have to withdraw from the Match. I didn't know this when I applied, but I went on the interview anyway, for practice if nothing else. The program was ok but didn't really have what I was looking for, especially compared to a lot of the other places I interviewed at. I was offered a position, but turned it down.

So that left 13. Of the 13, two were outstanding. Two were really great. Three were great. One was pretty good. Two were not very good. One was pretty bad. And finally, there were two that I got a really bad feeling at and knew right away I did NOT want to train there. I hemmed and hawed a lot about how many programs to include on my rank list. In the end, I decided that having a successful, meaningful career was more important than *just* being able to work in the US. I ranked 8 programs (all the way down to, and including, the "pretty good" program.) I felt this was the best possible balance between having the opportunity to work in the US, and still having a great career. I knew that the fewer programs I put on my list, the lower my chances of matching. But I knew I could get excellent training in Sweden. I felt good about my decision, even before I got the "Congratulations, you have matched!" email today.

So, Mr. E and I are moving stateside! We'll find out Friday where!

In other news, my follies are growing well. Four to five 10mm-ish follies on each side. So far I've been experiencing headaches, a nosebleed, sore boobs, and lower abdominal discomfort. Not too bad though. Next monitoring ultrasound is on Wednesday.

No comments:

Post a Comment