Friday, March 13, 2015

Privilege

As I wait for the email next week that will tell me my fate in the match, I have been reflecting on what it means to be a doctor. Even if I don't match into a residency spot in the US, I will (hopefully) have a great career ahead of me in Sweden. In the middle of my night shift last night, I found myself suddenly overwhelmed by the feeling of privilege. It is a great privilege to take care of people. To see them when they're at their most vulnerable. To try to figure out what's wrong with them when they suddenly get sick. To lay a hand on their arm and tell them you are doing everything you can. To help someone not suffer during their final hours. To then lay a hand on a family member's arm and tell them you did everything you could. I did all of those things, and more, in one single shift. It is truly a great privilege, and I know I am very fortunate to be able to do what I do.

No comments:

Post a Comment