Friday, May 29, 2015

Experiences with Cytotec

Now that I believe the worst from this miscarriage is over, I wanted to write about my experience. I know I googled a lot the first time I had to take meds for a MMC and not a lot of people had written about what it was like, so it was hard to know what to expect. I've now taken the same meds twice, and I thought I'd write about the physical experience. (Warning: not for the easily grossed-out)

With my second loss, I had an empty sac, I forget exactly how big it was but it wasn't tiny. I was given Mifepristone, and started spotting/light bleeding the following day. The next day (2 days after Mifepristone), I was admitted to the hospital to take the Cytotec (Misoprostol) there. They wanted me there because there was a risk for complications. I don't remember the exact details in terms of timing, but I started the Cytotec in the morning and by lunchtime, the cramps and bleeding were bad. It got worse and worse, and kept escalating to the point I asked for IV painkillers (which I then realized I should've asked for long before!!). Shortly after it got to that point, I passed what I believe was the sac, it was a golf ball-sized bloody clump. After I had passed that, the cramping got MUCH better and the bleeding slowed.

This time, I was given the Mifepristone and then was allowed to do the rest at home. I anticipated spotting/bleeding after the Mifepristone since that was what had happened before, but that didn't happen this time. I had zero blood whatsoever. Yesterday morning, at 7am, I inserted 4 Cytotec vaginally. At 10am, I took 2 orally. At 12 noon, I took another 2 orally. At about 9am, I started cramping, but not too bad. I was able to go about my day with no problems. At around 11am, the cramping got a lot worse. At 11:30, I started bleeding, a moderate amount of bright red blood but no clots. The cramping got worse and worse, until about 3pm when I decided to take a strong painkiller. (Again, I should have done this earlier. I don't know why I didn't learn my lesson). I had some red bleeding but not nearly as much as I had expected. The cramping got better towards the evening but it continued to come in waves. I went to bed concerned that I hadn't bled enough.

This morning, I woke up with pretty bad cramps. By around 9am, they were very bad, about the same as yesterday afternoon. At around 10:30 (so more than 27 hours after my first Cytotec dose), I passed a bunch of clots and started bleeding a lot more. It's 2pm now and the cramping is significantly better but I'm still passing clots and a significant amount of blood. I think most of it is out now, which is a big relief since I leave in less than 72 hours (OMGWTF how is that possible?!).

My advice to anyone going through Cytotec treatment, particularly at home is:
1. DON'T be afraid to take the strong stuff they give you. I don't know why I didn't, it was really stupid. No reason to be in pain. Eat small snacks continuously to help avoid becoming nauesous.
2. The heating pad has been my best friend. Also, chocolate.
3. I got Mr. E to rub my back when the cramps were bad and spreading to my back, that helped a bunch.
4. You'll bleed a lot, and there will be clumps of stuff, but that's normal. And you are almost certainly not losing nearly as much blood as you think you are, most people grossly overestimate blood loss. Odds are you're fine.

No comments:

Post a Comment