Wednesday, May 6, 2015

Reflections on my Adventures Abroad

Almost 9 (!) years ago, right after I graduated from college, I moved halfway across the world to a country where I knew one person and didn't speak the language. In less than a month, I will be moving back to the U.S. In the past 9 years, I have:

Moved in with a boy.
Gotten married.
Learned a new language.
Taught an English class, adult swim lessons, and histology.
Published 3 scientific articles.
Applied to, gotten into, and graduated from medical school.
Been to the Nobel Prize Ceremony.
Run 2 half marathons.

But I think what I am most grateful for is the opportunity to travel so much. Before meeting my husband, I hadn't even been to Europe. Now, I've been to 30 countries, 15 of which have been during my time abroad. I've done some pretty awesome things on those trips. I've been skiing in the Alps, which was an amazing combination of breathtaking views and great skiing. I've seen a ballet at the Bolshoi, which was like going to the Mothership of Ballet, and was really freaking cool since I did ballet for most of my life. I've marveled in awe at the pyramids in Egypt, and watched the sun rise spectacularly over Mount Sinai. I've seen the ruins in Athens, and tried to imagine what life was like back then.

A lot of Americans never get these opportunities or, if they do, they don't take them for whatever reason. Mr. E and I love to travel, and have prioritized trips over all else, financially and time-wise. And it's been spectacular.

I've also grown immensely as a person. I've faced so many challenges during the last 9 years, everything from learning a new language to dealing with infertility and 4 miscarriages. I am a very different person than I was when I moved here, and I think I am a much stronger one. And I'm excited for the next adventure and next set of challenges!

No comments:

Post a Comment